DYI Carpet Cleaning Check List
Carpet cleaning is a task you can do yourself, and with decent results. There comes a time for every carpet when vacuuming can no longer restore its beauty. Whether you plan to do it yourself or hire a professional there are 5 major indicators of when it’s time for a deep carpet cleaning.
Saving money is important, but it is also important to have the job done right. Periodic professionally carpet cleaning is very important and required to maintain your carpet warranty.
When To Clean Your Carpets
- Age – the carpet is no longer the same as carpet was new.
- Traffic Lanes – the carpet is matted in high traffic areas.
- Stains – the carpet has grimy circles from spills.
- Odors – pet accidents, old spotting treatments or musty smells.
- Soil – the carpet releases dust storm when you run across the room.
If any of these descriptions fit your carpets or rugs, then it is time to clean it. If you have the time, $100, and strength to do a thorough carpet cleaning take a minute and review our carpet cleaning check list.
Carpet Cleaning Check List
- Before cleaning your carpet, test for colorfastness. Moisten a white towel with the cleaning solution that you are going to use, and apply it to an inconspicuous area. If the towel does not pick up any color from the carpet, it is probably safe to use the solution on the entire carpet.
- Remove as much furniture from the room as possible, and place foil or plastic film under the legs and bases of the remaining furniture to prevent stains.
- Vacuum the carpet thoroughly, then spot-clean and pre-treat stains before cleaning the carpet.
- Follow the instructions printed on the carpet cleaning solution.
- Use one solution stroke and multiple dry strokes over the all carpet fibers.
- Do not over wet the carpet or use too much solution.
- Hand scrub carpet stains and re-clean.
- Wipe cleaning solutions and from furniture legs and woodwork immediately.
- Fluff damp fibers against the nap to aid drying.
- Make sure the room is well-ventilated after cleaning to speed drying.
- Try not to walk on carpets until they are completely dry.
If you clean your carpets frequently they’ll look better and you should get a lot more mileage out of your carpeting. And that’s good news, given how much it costs to replace.
Hiring professional will be a little more expensive than doing it yourself, but it can be well worth the money.